All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 
New-Tral
New-Tral

City: Lutz
Name: Jason
Model Year: 0
Hi All,

I’m new to Miatas, as well as this site. I have wanted a Miata since I first saw them in 1990. Now the time has come to find one, and I’m very excited about it!

I’m looking forward to learning more about the cars, and meeting some fellow Miata aficionados.

If you know of any that are currently for sale, or anyone I might contact about one - please let me know?

I appreciate any advice and guidance you may be able to offer.

Thanks in advance for allowing me to join your group.

Kind regards,

Jason

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

City: Safety Harbor
Name: Loren
Model Year: 2001
Welcome, Jay!

You might start by narrowing down how much you want to spend, and maybe how much you already know about what you're looking for.

We can regurgitate hours of info about Miatas... but, don't want to tell you what you already know. If you've been eyeing them for 27 years, you probably know a bunch.

"Simplify, then add lightness." - Colin Chapman
Loren Williams | Loren@InvisibleSun.org | 2001 Silver Miata | FASTiva Co-Pilot

New-Tral
New-Tral

Thank you, Loren.

Great advice.

My budget is flexible, for the right car. I’d love to find something in the $2-4K range if possible.

Looking for a Florida car with a clean title, no accident history, no rust, well maintained, and upgrades would be nice (but stock is fine as well). I’m open to the color, option packages, etc. I drove a 93 (B Package) yesterday, and I really liked it. It was in need of a top, A/C compressor, and the rocker panels & underside had more rust than I’m ready to deal with. It also had hail damage. That was not the car for me - but I really liked the way it drove.

I’ve done a good bit of research, but I have much to learn. I do most of my own maintenance, and I’m looking forward to being able to maintain & modify a Miata. I may consider Autocross in the future, if time permits. But, for now - the car I choose would need to be a daily driver if needed. I’d like to be able to teach my children to drive a manual transmission with the car as well.

Thanks again for your welcome message. I look forward to meeting you sometime soon.

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

You'll want to drive some 1.8 cars as well as 1.6. The 1.8 is ultimately "faster", but the 1.6 is lighter and has better gearing, so some people think it "feels" better. (I'm in that group) But, get a feel for both. Then decide whether the mods you intend to do are for "acceleration" or "handling" or "style". If you want fast, you probably want to get a 1.8. (unless you're a turbo guy, then you can get by with the 1.6 just fine unless "more is never enough") Otherwise, either one would work in most cases.

And you need to decide if having a proper LSD is important to you, and whether it's something you want to have to buy later if the car doesn't have it. The 1.6's didn't offer a Torsen, only a (weak) viscous LSD.

But, the NA's are all sort of like Legos. You can buy any one of them and make it the car that you want if you are so motivated.

Definitely hold out for a rust-free car. And, unless the mods appear to be of high quality and well-implemented, you might want to seek an unmodified car. They are out there. Plan on spending $3-4k for a really nice one. Maybe a little more for lower mileage. (mileage doesn't matter that much on a 25 year old car, rubber parts will be deteriorated regardless of mileage)

I didn't used to feel this way, but... unless you're hung up on pop-up headlights and the lightest possible Miata, you might consider the NB. They're not as old, and they're a bit more refined. If you can find a low mileage 2003-2005 Miata... should be a lot less trouble than an NA that's 10-15 years older. Nice early Miatas are becoming almost collectible, so you really won't pay that much more for a nice NB... it's still "just a used car" to most people.

New-Tral
New-Tral

Thank you, Loren.

I just updated the title of my post to include “NB”, as it sounds like that may be a great option for me to consider as well.

I’m really glad I decided to join this group before deciding on a car. Your guidance and advice is much appreciated!

Accelerating
Accelerating

City: Grove City
Name: Steve
Model Year: 1996
Loren wrote:
Definitely hold out for a rust-free car

Welcome from St. Pete. As you've already seen there is a wealth of information available here and then even continuing technical and sometimes hands on support after your purchase. I personnaly opted for a $1500 unmolested but neglected '96 Fl. beater because I wanted OBDII, Torsen diff., do my own maintenance and don't care about any upgrades. Be patient and you'll eventually find exactly what suits you.

2004 K2500HD
1990 Elite 80 x2
1971 Nova SS 408

Mostly I just rely on dumb luck...seems to come easy to me.

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop, When the wind blows, the cradle will rock, When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall, And down will come baby, cradle and all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 
New-Tral
New-Tral

Thank you, Steve-O.

I drove an 01 LS 6-speed yesterday. A different experience from the 93, 1.6 5-speed. I liked both of them, but the gearing in the 5-speed is a bit more like what I am used to. I’m going to enjoy the search for now. I’m lucky that I don’t need a car, so I can take my time to find the right one.

If anyone here knows of any NA or NBs for sale that I might not find on my own, please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 
Engine Blown
Engine Blown

The really good deals on really nice cars go REALLY fast. Check Craigslist often and be ready to move quickly.

Another 5-speed vs. 6-speed consideration is autocross. Autocross in a Miata typically tops out in the 50-60 mph range... most often right about 55-58. This is perfect for a Miata with a 5-speed where 2nd tops out at about 58. With a 6-speed, you run out of 2nd gear at around 54 mph, meaning that you have to shift up and down through 3rd gear a lot. Most people find 5-speeds better for autocross.

Also, the NA/NB have all gotten old enough that SCCA (and thus any club that uses SCCA classing) has lumped them all together in the same class. The 2001+ 1.8 engine with variable valve timing, variable intake and 140 hp is in the same class as the 1990 with a basic twin-cam 1.6 and 110 hp. Power isn't everything... but, it's a thing.

Your "holy grail" Miata might be a later NB 5-speed base model (or Sport pkg) with a Torsen. Happy hunting!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 
New-Tral
New-Tral

I found a 91 Miata (Base) in Mariner Blue, with the original paint and 184K last evening. It also has a fabric top with a glass rear window. No A/C. I couldn’t pass it up for the price. It’s going to be a bit of a project, but I’m excited to get started on it. I noticed that some of you may be at Tampa Bay Downs tomorrow for the FAST Open Event. I plan to go as a spectator with my oldest son. I hope to get a chance to meet some of you there.

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

If you go to Tampa Bay Downs, you'll be lonely.

If you go to the correct place (Dunnellon airport), you'll be pissed because you didn't pre-register and we can't let you in.

And the event is Sunday, not Saturday. (not that you'd get past the gate either way)

Do pay attention to autocross details... they're not always the same!

But, congrats on the car!

New-Tral
New-Tral

Yikes!

I guess I was all wrong on that. Thanks for setting me straight.

Good luck to all who are participating.

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

Gives you time to take pix of the car.

Accelerating
Accelerating

Model Year: 1990
Welcome, and there is a wealth of knowledge and loyal Miata owners, both past and present, on this site to help you when and if you want or need the help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 
New-Tral
New-Tral

Thank you, Accelerating.

I’m really enjoying the Miata.

I tried to upload a few photos, but they do not appear to be attaching to the post. Do I need to request permission to post photos, or perhaps I’m doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 
New-Tral
New-Tral

This car is so much fun! And easy to work on too. I’m so happy I finally decided to buy one. I replaced the valve cover gasket & plugs on Sunday. It’s running well but has a slight vibration at idle, like every 3-4 seconds apart. The NGK Blue wires look almost new. I used anti-seize on the plugs & dielectric grease on the connections. Is this an expected behavior for a 184K engine, or are there other things that I can check? Air filter is clean. PCV valve is clean. The hoses I’ve checked appear to be in good condition. Any ideas or reference to an existing thread are appreciated?

Also, I’d love to be able to post some pictures.

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

I've read that a leaky fuel pressure regulator can cause that sort of thing. If the diaphram is leaking, fuel seeps past it. Pull the vacuum hose from the FPR and see if it is either dripping fuel or smells of fuel.

Could also be dirty fuel injectors, or leaky fuel injector seals sucking air. Or a vacuum leak anywhere. A leaky vacuum hose, leaks in the accordion intake tube, etc.

Remember, any air that is introduced after the AFM is "unmetered air" and will cause the engine to run lean.

What kind of plugs did you put in it?

Oh, and nothing keeping you from posting photos except on your very first post. You're way past that.

New-Tral
New-Tral

Thank you, Loren.
I will be checking the items that you mentioned soon. For today, it looks like the culprit was a loose harmonic damper/crankshaft pulley. It’s a good thing I noticed it right away, because I fear it could’ve gotten much worse if I hadn’t. I was able to get it tightened to back to spec, and have both of the drive belts replaced (no air-conditioning).
It’s running much smoother now, but I would like to troubleshoot the items you recommended as well. A drop-in K&N air filter will be going in tomorrow.
It looks like a shifter rebuild kit is a good idea too. Anyone have a favorite?

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

Did you just tighten the crank pulley, or did you take it apart and inspect it? If it's been loose for any amount of time, it can really tear up the crank nose, the pully, the woodruff key, etc. It can be repaired, but the worse it gets, the more repair it will need. You want to be VERY particular about how you assemble that piece. Clean thoroughly, assemble with Loctite, torque to spec. Even if it's not an early "short nose crank", it's still VERY susceptible to exactly the same problems if it's not assembled just right. (trust me, I went through this on my 96 when *I* didn't assemble it just right)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 
New-Tral
New-Tral

Yes, I did take the pulley off and inspect it. It wasn’t damaged, as far as I could tell. It was torqued back to spec, but Locktite Blue 242 wasn’t applied. I may need to re-do it. I installed Denso Iridium Power Spark Plugs (5304). The wires are NGK Blues. The valve cover gasket set is Fel-Pro, with Black Sililcone applied at the 6 areas designated to receive it. No leaking so far, and I used a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to spec. The K&N filter went in today. After yesterday’s crank pulley repair, I now notice what sounds like an exhaust leak. You can hear air getting sucked in, and it almost sounds like a supercharger sound - just not as loud. I’m wondering if the shaking caused by the loose crank pulley might’ve knocked something loose? The engine runs smoothly otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 
Engine Blown
Engine Blown

Yeah, you definitely want to put some Loctite on the crank bolt. It is the single most finicky thing on the car.

Don't mean to sound negative, but if (when?) the car starts running poorly in 5-10k miles, check your plugs. The Miata's wasted spark system has a strong history of frying every "fancy" spark plug you can imagine. Platinum, double platinum, iridium... forget it. Most of us just use plain ol NGK copper plugs. Change them every 30k miles or so.

What are you used to driving, Jay? The Miata is not a quiet car. You'll hear some intake noise. Slightly more with the K&N filter. And the 1.6 exhaust is actually fairly open and almost "throaty". Not saying that an exhaust leak isn't possible. But, it's not a quiet car. It's going to sound different now that it's running properly. And, odds are you're pushing it a little harder since it's running better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 
New-Tral
New-Tral

Thanks, Loren.

I will get some Loctite on the bolt, and I will check the plugs as you recommended.
My daily driver is a 2007 Lexus GS350, which is much quieter for sure. I’ve owned several 5.0 & 4.6 Mustangs, two of which were Cobras. Those were very loud cars, but mostly in a good way. The exhaust noise just started yesterday, so I’m thinking I’ll double check the bolts, connections, etc. I really enjoy the sound of the Miata. It’s a pretty nice sounding stock exhaust. And, yes - I have been pushing it a little harder since it’s been running better. That little 1.6 seems happy to rev!