It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 
Idling
Idling

City: Lakeland
Name: Jim
Model Year: 2002
Well it only took 11 months to put the exhaust parts I bought together into a functioning system. Its 2.5" aluminized tubing with mandrel bends. A new 2.5" cat, a 2.5" resonator (think glasspack) and a 2.5" SS muffler.

1-Jones Exhaust MAX Flow Mufflers MF1266 (about the size of the Miataturbo.net recommended *best* muffler, only 2.5", and cheaper. Still straight through flow)
1-Catco Universal Fit Catalytic Converters 6906
1-Jones Exhaust Glasspack Mufflers A3516B-8
2-Cherry Bomb Mandrel Bends 320465CB
1-Cherry Bomb Mandrel Bends 320466CB
1-Jones Exhaust Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips PAC212SS
1-Summit RacingĀ® Exhaust Tubing SUM-640025-1
1- O2 sensor bung (post cat)

I also used some 3/8" round steel rod to make new hangers, and I have some v-band clamps that I have not yet installed. I bought the v-bands to make removal of exhaust parts easier, but I have not yet decided exactly where I want to put them. I used the factory flange where the mid pipe meets the "down" pipe for now. I do have a FM downpipe that will probably get a v-band connection to what I built once the rest of the turbo is ready to go in. Believe it or not- I can actually weld.... The pictures however, tell a different tale. I used a friends mig welder and I am not sure what the problem is/was, but it would spit and sputter the entire time. I dont think it was the aluminized coating as I have welded to that truble free in the past, but who knows. All I know is that is took 2-3x longer to weld it together than it should've. I spent 6 hours on it from pulling the car in- to driving it out, and that includes cutting out the old system. It is still not completely finished though, as I said about the v-bands and such. I have some mandrel bend pieces left over, and a pretty long piece of the straight pipe section left over as well.

I like the sound. I used to hear the K&N intake noise the most when accelerating hard, now I hear the exhaust over the intake but not by much. The exhaust note is easily overcome by my stereo, and it does not seem to drone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lKAawQz7NG0ht4bw2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A1jEUF2YnCsebDZs2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xEFwD1UkJOmGgCY03

So far I cant make them click-free via google... I'll try later to make them more visible.