All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PDR Results
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 
Engine Blown
Engine Blown

City: Safety Harbor
Name: Loren
Model Year: 2001
Everybody is always asking where to get paintless dent removal done, how good the results are, whether or not dents in aluminum panels can be taken out, etc.

Well, I happen to have a car with various shapes and sizes of dings and dents on 6 out of 8 body panels, and a PDR guy coming out to fix them tomorrow. So, I took a few minutes to do a very quick wash & wax on the car and took a few "before" pictures. When the work is done, I'll take after pictures so we can all see what is possible.

I've attached some representative photos here for posterity. There are a few more here.

Some of the dents don't stand out in the photos, some are subtle, so here's what I see:

Hood: 4 or 5 small obvious "hail dents". A slight dent right in the crease of the front edge of the "power bulge" in the hood. (this one I may not have him repair... if he's confident he can make it BETTER and not WORSE, I'll let him... seems like an awkward place for a dent and easy to screw up) And another shallow dent in front of that. There's one more ding right in the crease 1" from the back edge of the hood on the right side. Might be a difficult one, I didn't get a photo of it.

Front Fenders: It looks a lot like the car may have been owned by an idiot kid who put wide low offset wheels on it without properly preparing the car, and when pressed, it rubbed the fender lips. Either in hard cornering, or when it hit a good bump, I think the tires made sufficient contact to tweak the front fenders and create the dents you see. That's my guess. Anyway, big dents just above and forward of the wheel arches, and one mangled up wheel lip.

Right Door: Only one significant ding. A couple tiny ones that might not be worth messing with.

Right Rear Fender: Nasty little dent just above the wheel arch. Small "outie" from an unsecured battery.

Trunk Lid: One innie, one outie, one on the rear edge where the white spot is. There's also a tiny dent in the panel between the top and the trunk toward the left side that doesn't show in the photo.

I don't expect perfection. I know it is possible with enough time and skill, but I'm NOT willing to pay for that much time. But, I expect most of these dents, especially the bad ones, to look A LOT better.

Attachments:
Dent_LF_3.JPG
Dent_LF_3.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 1123 times ]
Dent_RF_2.JPG
Dent_RF_2.JPG [ 1005.27 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]
Dings_Hood_Front.JPG
Dings_Hood_Front.JPG [ 909.75 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]
Dings_R_Door.JPG
Dings_R_Door.JPG [ 937.77 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]
Dings_RR.JPG
Dings_RR.JPG [ 798.65 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]
Dings_Trunk.JPG
Dings_Trunk.JPG [ 675.98 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]

"Simplify, then add lightness." - Colin Chapman
Loren Williams | Loren@InvisibleSun.org | 2001 Silver Miata | FASTiva Co-Pilot

Post subject: Re: PDR Results
Floored
Floored

City: Tampa
Name: Benji
Model Year: 1999
Eagerly awaiting the results of the hood repair. Are any of the dents blocked on the underside by the hood bracing?

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

I didn't look at all of them, some of them may be. But, I think as long as they're not directly on a glue spot (which isn't likely, as the glue spot would resist a dent), they should be workable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 
Engine Blown
Engine Blown

I haven't forsaken you. The job was done and I'm very pleased with it. As expected (and especially for the fantastic price I was given for doing the whole car), it's not perfect. And even with both of us looking over the car, I still see little dings here and there that we missed. But, with the exception of the rear quarter panel dent that he didn't want to attempt, all of the large dents look fantastic! And all other significant dents are hardly noticeable. The car doesn't look "all dinged up" any more, and that's all I was going for.

I'm polishing and waxing the car today. Should have photos this evening if it doesn't rain on me again.

Floored
Floored

I can't wait to see the hood on Saturday!

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

Worst thing about doing the hood is that the WHOLE hood is aluminum, including the bracing. So, he had nothing rigid to pry against. He said he normally charges 30% more for aluminum, but forgot that the Miata hood was aluminum when he quoted the job.

The Miata hood is definitely workable, though.

Floored
Floored

I'll pay 30% more if he can make it it pretty again.

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

Sneak Preview

Notice those dings in the hood are gone?

Floored
Floored

Did any of them have any sort of crease or line in them or were they just dimples?

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

I'll take detail photos of the hood because I know a lot of people want to know.

Gotta polish it first. I hate working on the hood.

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

Okay, car is all cleaned, polished, touched up and waxed now. Final results:

Fully unedited gallery here.

Samples similar to the prevoiusly attached "before" pictures attached.

If you want to see flaws, look at the Flickr gallery, zoom in, and I can tell you what to look for:

On the hood, one of the 4 dimples in the back left quadrant has some "texture", the others I didn't really notice. (I'm sure if you look hard enough, there will always be a "scar") The dent that was right on the crease at the front of the bulge is gone (and was literally taken out in about 30 seconds without even opening the hood!). The shallow dent in front of that is gone, too. There was a ding on the crease behind the right side washer nozzle. Some hints of it if you look closely enough, but I couldn't find it in the photo.

The front fenders both have scars, but those were BAD dents. He says it's usually beyond what he does due to the paint damage and the fact that there is clearly some filler/body glaze under the paint on the fender. But, he knew my goals and I took responsibility if he knocked a chunk of bondo out... which he didn't. On the LF, if you look straight out from the back of the headlight cover, there's a little circular paint crack. That was the top of the dent. No dent there any more! If it weren't for the paint damage, that one would be nearly undetectable. On the RF, he had to hammer a little harder, and the paint was thick and soft, so it left some marks. Most of it buffed out (and he buffed it out with a cool little rechargeable hand buffer). There's a slight "crumpled paper" effect if you look at the RF from just the right angle. In spite of the flaws, I'm 100% pleased with how these fenders came out!

Both doors had their share of dings, nothing major. As you can see in the side shots, he got most of the dings out without any obvious marks. Again, there may be some marks there if you look closely enough. But, if you look closely enough, there are dings that we missed, too. It's a 20-year-old car! Very happy with the look of the doors. I only remembered seeing the one ding that I pictured on the right door, I was really surprised at the number of dings he pulled out of the doors, many of which I didn't notice at first.

The LR fender wasn't touched. There were a couple minor dings in it, but I didn't feel it was worth having him mess with. The RR fender had that big dent that I really wish he could have done, but I understand the limitations of PDR and I agreed with him when he said that it could end up looking worse. It's just a bad location for a dent on a Miata. He did fix the "outie" just forward of the scratch by the tail light, it popped right back in and would be completely invisible if the paint hadn't cracked leaving a starfish. He fixed a few more little dings around the antenna area.

The trunk lid was a mess. The before photo showed a couple dings, but there were more. Looks like some road trips were taken with a lot of stuff crammed in the trunk, and the trunk also used not-so-gently as a table. He did a really good job on it. It's a shame the paint on the trunk is so shitty. There was a ding on the fold of the trunk lid, a couple inches to the right of the center tail light. I thought that would be a problem area, but he knocked it right out. (I had to remove the light so he could get to it) I don't think I got that in the photos.

So, again, overall I'm very pleased. Hope this gives you some kind of idea of what a good PDR guy can do. In general, I think "if he can get to it, he can fix it". And as long as the paint is undamaged, and especially if it's quality factory paint, odds are good that the repair will be nearly perfect. Of course, you get what you pay for. If you go in with difficult dent and a firm (low) budget and he knows that, there's a limit to how much time he'll spend. If you're flexible and he knows he's going to be compensated for his time... you know how that goes.

Oh, the guy I used was "Paul the Dent Man". Great guy to work with. He's happy to work with you on a panel or dent until you're satisfied with it. (within reason) And even after you think it looks perfect, the lighting will change and you'll view it from another angle, and you'll still see it. It is what it is. Don't expect high-end body shop perfection, it's simply not possible in most cases. But, at $75-100 per panel for PDR vs. $500 plus for bodywork, prep & paint, and having to do without your car for a couple days, and having to worry about paint matching and overspray and all that... it's a pretty good thing to try.

I do recommend that you take the time to remove any lights, fender liners, door panels or whatever that might impede him. In addition to reducing the possibility of him breaking something (he seems pretty conscientious in that regard), it's going to speed things along, and the less time he spends on your car, the less money he's likely to charge.

Attachments:
PDR_LF.jpg
PDR_LF.jpg [ 698.63 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
PDR_RF.jpg
PDR_RF.jpg [ 688.3 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
PDR_Hood.jpg
PDR_Hood.jpg [ 600.13 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
PDR_Right.jpg
PDR_Right.jpg [ 601.14 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
PDR_Left.jpg
PDR_Left.jpg [ 612.17 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
PDR_Trunk.jpg
PDR_Trunk.jpg [ 105.97 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 
Floored
Floored

City: Oldsmar
Name: Nick
Model Year: 1990
That looks pretty good! Replace the top and the seats and you're not gonna want to get rid of it...well, or your price is gonna move northward.

Nick

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

The goal is to take the price as far North as it will go!

Floored
Floored

I saw the car in person today. The PDR guy did a great job, and I'll be calling him myself soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 
Idling
Idling

Model Year: 1991
Hey!!!

I just had my pass front fender done. It had 5 dents nearly in a row.
Paul the dent man did a great job plus he did another dent for free.

I will use him again :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 
HEY, THIS IS THE "DENTMAN" . I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE SUPPORT AND POSITIVE FEED BACK. THE GUYS ALL FORGOT TO TALK ABOUT WORKING IN DIRECT SUN LIGHT. IT IS A HOT ONE THIS SUMMER.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO EARN THE RESPECT OF ALL THE CAR ENTHUSIASTS I HAVE MET ON HERE AND AT THE SHOWS. IT COMES WITH PICKINESS AND DETERMINATION TO PLEASE ALL. SINCEREELY THANKS AGAIN.
PAUL THE DENT MAN INC.
727 515 3368

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 
Engine Blown
Engine Blown

City: Plant City
Name: Randy
Model Year: 1993
Paul took out a ton of dents on the first 95 Merlot I owned before I sold it 2 years ago, great work good prices, and overall very happy with the results, I have to get him to get 2 dents from my other 95 Merlot now.

1993 Limited Edition #1073 (the Street Car)
2013 Mazdaspeed3 (Turbo) The Daily Driver[/b]

I love toy cars!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 
Accelerating
Accelerating

Name: Kenny
I will be contacting him soon as well, both cars have "character" on them. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 
TBM Admin
TBM Admin

City: Largo
Name: Mark
Bringing this one back from the dead as I find myself in need of a PDR guy. I called Paul and he is indeed unable to do PDR work any longer but he recommended someone to me, a guy by the name of Bill who is supposed to get back with me next week.

If all goes well I will post his info for the group as a possible new resource. I did a forum search but did not come up with other significant hits for PDR. If anyone has a recommendation I'm open to them.

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Accelerating
Accelerating

Model Year: 1990
Try: this Person who came recommended by Paul a while back when his health failed him.
Highline Dents
Greg Shumaker
(727) 505-8520greg@highlinedents.com

I hope it still a good number.

Clutch In
Clutch In

Name: Angel
Model Year: 1995
It would be great if he came Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 
Idling
Idling

What was the outcome on this ? I need a dentless paint repair...

Engine Blown
Engine Blown

Read the thread.

Idling
Idling

2 Days ago Paul recommended someone named Bill @ 941 448 1277

Accelerating
Accelerating

City: Grove City
Name: Steve
Model Year: 1996
Call Bill.

2004 K2500HD
1990 Elite 80 x2
1971 Nova SS 408

Mostly I just rely on dumb luck...seems to come easy to me.

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop, When the wind blows, the cradle will rock, When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall, And down will come baby, cradle and all.